Wednesday, November 21, 2007

About the Title "On Shoulders of the Shepherd"

For the past seven years I have been involved in an intense study of the Psalms. It began while living in Orlando, and followed me through our transition to New York City to minster to high school students in the urban enclaves of this great city. The practice of reading, meditating, memorizing and then finally writing on each song has brought strength, perspective and insight into what it means to truly know God. I will never be the same.

Somewhere along the way, the Lord whispered to me the phrase "On shoulders of the Shepherd." After watching King David repeatedly cast himself into the merciful hands of God for his deliverance, it occured to me that he knew his strength came from the shoulders of One who watched out for him, and cared deeply about what concerned him. Time and time again, I left my study sensing that God had brought David up upon his shoulders, much like a shepherd would his precious lamb, and there was carried. David says in Psalm 28, "be their Shepherd and carry them forever." There's no other place I would rather be, than firmly and permanently mounted on God's strength, feeling His sinews bend and stretch as He fights my battles and calms my fears. My prayer is that I would take the pages I have written, and compose a tool that could lead others into some of the same revelations about God as I have had the joy of discovering. The commentary will be aptly titled, "On Shoulders of the Shepherd."

No comments: